Friday 1 May 2009

Busy Morning

With another two cupboards cleaned and sorted I felt justified in take a few hours off from the pending upheavel and settled down in front of the comupter to get on with some writing.


Not since Spanish Steps have I had so much fun with a keyboard.  Death in the Morning is a joy to write - no storyboard, no research just flex the fingers, bribe the dogs with a promise of a long walk and off I go.

This might not sound very revolutionary, after all how many of Jane Austin's story boards have ever come to light? but for me, the ultimate list maker, this is ground breaking.  I'm finally writing the same way that I think.  That's to say, disjointed, off wall ramblings, that will hopefully take the reader on a journey rather than drive them up the wall.

The story so far has introduced Ronny, a ex-copper who is still trying to sort out his feelings about taking early retirement. He misses the job and is probably feeling a little vulnerable for the first time in his life when out of the blue his wife goes missing.  Has she had an accident, has she left him, is she having an affair? I don't know yet where she is - I have an idea but I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Although the beauty of this kind of writing is that I may change my mind and have her hiding out in a convent in France after she hijacks a fishing boat and guts the crew with a filleting knife - god the possibilities are endless.....

No comments: