Monday 3 September 2007

Riaza



We have just come back from exploring Riaza and I had to tell you what we found there. There is a huge fiesta planned for later this week and the centre of the village has been laid out with a bullring for the festivities. Now no matter what I personally feel about grown men in tight trousers tormenting the life out of 50 stone of angry bull, we are in bullfighting country and as tourists we should either put up or shut up. It is their country and their fiesta and what right do we have to tell them they are wrong.

The fiesta seems to start with a bull run through the narrow streets of the town, it sounds really exciting and I am just sorry that we are moving on tomorrow. This area of Spain with it's heritage trail and skiing in the winter is definitely worth another visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are a little bit wrong about bull festivals.

Bullfithing is a different thing than "encierro" (bulls running in streets)

Anyway, you can have a look in Youtube. Just write "Fiestas 2007 riaza", and you will find some videos.

Joyce said...

Thanks for the link to YouTube but I'm even more confused now!

The pictures of the bull run through the narrow streets of the town are as I imagined but the action in the bullring was as you said very different from what I thought would be happening there.

I suppose that you could say it's my lack of Spanish and general ignorance about encierro...even so I'm still sorry that we missed it!