Monday 2 July 2007

Lesley's Home

I can't believe how busy the past few weeks have been.

The conservatory roof has finally been replaced, at long last. After all the site visits from the builders I am now on first name terms with them all, know all about their partners and kids and have learnt more about racing pigeons than is healthy for any woman.

Luckily they made a very good job of the roof because since they finished it hasn't stopped raining...........I'm not moaning though, at least we haven't been washed away like the poor folk in Sheffield.

On the day of the floods I was in York visiting Lesley. Needless to say we got absolutely drenched walking around but at least we had a good excuse to have a long lunch in a very nice little pub. The problems started when I went to the station to get the train home. York station was in meltdown. Crowds of people were milling around the information desk trying to find out if there were any trains running to anywhere. The short answer was NO and we were all advised to try and find a hotel room for the night. So my little shopping trip to York turned into sleep-over, not complaining, we had a great time and can heartily recommend Weatherspoons breakfasts, great value and very tasty.

Dave and I had spent the weekend before my York extravaganza in the van on Anglesey. We were lucky with the weather and only had rain overnight. This did however, highlight an issue with the van, we discovered that in a storm the side door leaks. I woke about 3 o'clock in the morning thinking that I had wet the bed.................We are getting this fixed asap!!!

James drove over to York on Saturday to collect Lesley and move some of her stuff to her new flat. Dave and I spent the time hurriedly making room in the garage for the rest of her things. It took a while before we were able to unload the car as they had brought the Yorkshire rain along the M62 with them. But she is all unpacked and settled in now. It is strange having a full house again, but lovely to see the kids (sorry young people) back home, if only for the summer.

I don't know how James managed to get up so early on Saturday morning as we had been to Mike's 40th Birthday party the night before. It was a smashing party and I know that James enjoyed catching up with his cousins, it was just a shame that Elaine, after managing to find an escape route out of Sheffield, was poorly and couldn't make the party.

I am only sorry that I missed David's speech. By all accounts it was one of the highlights of the evening, but for my money you couldn't beat the floor show. It was truly inspired to have Mike recreating the 70s by Disco dancing to Abba and The Monkees. I was just a bit disappointed that he didn't get a chance to wear his white suit for a John Travolta tribute but he certainly gave the Eileen Phillips dancers a run for their money......................Just waiting for Sue to send the photos.....................

(P.S As usual Sue, ably assisted by Nita and Helen, prepared a wonderful buffet, they really should think about doing it professionally)

No comments: